Movement speed cap (at 200) and "mount bug"

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear players,

please read >> here <<.

Thank you for being a part of this!

• Movement speed cap (at 200) and "mount bug"

I've started this in conjuction with the Feather Walk skill of Archer that for most proved to be useless. Reason? Most of the players can anyway reach 200 speed by other means: wind shoes, potions, and so on.

Now to rewind things a little back, the explanation that was given at that time for capping the movement speed was...to eliminate the annoying "mount bug" the one almost everyone knows. It that when certain clases (mental warrior, lycans and some aura warriors and shamans) ride straight to you on a high speed mount (lion, the new elephant or whatever it's name is, deers or rendeers, tulu, and so on) and while riding to you just unmount and use certain skills. The fact is, that after unmounting, everything "stands still" for a sec time in which the attacker can cast 1-2 skills and you will see nothing...you just die and after that, eventually you'll see him casting the speed or reaching near you. The timing for casting the skills can be further extended if the attacker make an "evade" skill from the mount before unmounting.

Now that's a long story, some might say it's lag but it was clearly proven, there are videos on youtube describing all the parts with even indepth calculations of the timing needed to do so...and they exists since several years ago.

Want to ballance the PvP? OK solve this bug so some classes won't have unfair advantages in combat. What's the point in fighting when someone's riding upon you and before you can even try to evade, you're dead. Cause you don't see when is casting the skill so you cannot avoid it. You get hit by two skills, you see the damage and you're dead.

You choose to cap the movement speed to solve the bug (at least this was one of the reasons I heard). It didn't work. Now what?

You might say it's not the scope of this beta test...but it's about ballancing right? I'm sure most will appreciate if this bug is solved more than having dunno what defence or resistance or piercing reworked or recalculated.

I proposed a solution for this but probably wasn't reaching the right persons or it is not the intention to solve this bug whatsoever. OK, in that case at least tell us that you won't solve it at all.

My proposal was not to cap the movement speed but instead to introduce the same logic that doesn't allow you to mount or equip an item when moving...to the un-mounting. So if you MOVE and ride against an opponent you have first to STOP before unmounting. That will break the sequence that was generating the bug and the bug will not be possible anymore. If someone would try to unmount while moving, to receive the same message when trying to mount "You have to stay still in order to do that" or something.

This proposal will end this bug forever and won't affect PvE either. In fact I cannot imagine any circumstance in which a player would need to unmount while moving...except the one to use the bug.

So what about this ballancing?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rapier ().

• Rapier wrote:

My proposal was not to cap the movement speed but instead to introduce the same logic that doesn't allow you to mount or equip an item when moving...to the un-mounting. So if you MOVE and ride against an opponent you have first to STOP before unmounting. That will break the sequence that was generating the bug and the bug will not be possible anymore. If someone would try to unmount while moving, to receive the same message when trying to mount "You have to stay still in order to do that" or something.
      Another solution for this problem is that if you get hit by "Horseback Slash" you won't fall down on the ground of fly through the air.
      It should just do DMG but don't affect the mobility of the Character at all.

But your solution also works and yes it is a Bug and not a Lag. It can be replicated/imitated and is pretty annoying.
    • Yemon wrote:

Rapier wrote:

Another solution for this problem is that if you get hit by "Horseback Slash" you won't fall down on the ground of fly through the air.It should just do DMG but don't affect the mobility of the Character at all.

But your solution also works and yes it is a Bug and not a Lag. It can be replicated/imitated and is pretty annoying.
      It's not about that one...that is a different bug with evading on auto atack and hitting a player again and again while riding and throwing the target around.

What I was talking about was when the attacker rides towards you, make the evade skill then he unmounts and casts Spirit Strike and/or Bash (mostly both) and you DON'T SEE THAT COMING, it's only the damage you get and you're dead (the example was for the Mental Warrior but applies for Wolf Breath from Lyncans or Dash from Body Warrior as well). It's like the damage "hits" you before the animation is shown for the skill and you can't even move to dodge it

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rapier ().

• I completely agree with this, this is one of the bugs that should have been fixed ages ago. However, I do not think restricting players to unmount while moving is a good idea, its simply to restrictive and it would feel off/awkward.

And about horse slash not affecting the players movement, I that's one of its intended features and a fun mechanic, also not a very good idea in my opinion.

Despite this I do understand how annoying this can be and how there is no counter play to it. Also, I think this is the same bug that makes me receive damage even though I'm very far away from the character attacking me, while not having lag, which is extremely frustrating.
    • In which way is this more restrictive than to have to stand still in order to mount? It's the same but for un-mounting. And this of course valid only for mounts not for the regular horse...the bug is not easly replicable with a horse anyways.

Please think about the real situations in the game and let me know if you find just one for which you need to un-mount while riding...just one. I couldn't find it, that's why I proposed it. And "feeling" restricted, with all due respect and honesty I prefer to feel myself "restricted" than to have nothing to do against an opponent that is abusing this bug EVERY time.

I don't want to start a fight here, I just want to present a possible easy solution for this and to contribute to the ballancing of classes and improvement in combat techniques.

And yes BlueRay, about that bug I was talking about...you receive damage and the attacker is not even near you (you see it like that, he sees you near him)
    • Rapier wrote:

In which way is this more restrictive than to have to stand still in order to mount? It's the same but for un-mounting. And this of course valid only for mounts not for the regular horse...the bug is not easly replicable with a horse anyways.

Please think about the real situations in the game and let me know if you find just one for which you need to un-mount while riding...just one. I couldn't find it, that's why I proposed it. And "feeling" restricted, with all due respect and honesty I prefer to feel myself "restricted" than to have nothing to do against an opponent that is abusing this bug EVERY time.

I don't want to start a fight here, I just want to present a possible easy solution for this and to contribute to the ballancing of classes and improvement in combat techniques.

And yes BlueRay, about that bug I was talking about...you receive damage and the attacker is not even near you (you see it like that, he sees you near him)
      First of all, you can still move while mounting and dismounting, the only difference is that when you use a mount, the same as when you equip and item, you can't do anything other than moving to be able to equip it. You don't have to be completely still, you just can't auto attack or use skills.

Secondly, I don't know about your server, but in mine most people use the dark horse seal or some other mount which gives bonus, very few people still use the normal horse.

Lastly, the ideal solution here would be to eliminate the lag time difference between the player attacking and the player being attack. Simply adding a restricting feature such as that one would be more annoying to the players and the problem would still be there, only covered up.
    • I see your point but the root cause of the bug was not discovered/solved for years (it exists since the introduction of the Mount System) an I am very skeptic it will ever be. It was said that the so called lag between the attacker and the target was due to the high speed of the mount, hence the movement speed cap of 200. Obviously this was not the reason as it is still happening.

What I proposed was a way to block the ability to use the bug. If what I proposed is implemented, when someone will try to un-mount after just using evade skill (in order to use the bug), he will not be able to and will have to wait a fraction of time. Better way, it can be implemented as a requirement to stand still (not move) in order to un-mount. The only annoyed players will be the ones currently using the bug, because they will not be able to do it.

P.S. Horse is used in combat by some characters that use lots of hits in combat not only skills, so they can ride and fight (mostly Archers) without having to wait after each hit that will in most cases mean sudden death.

And anyways if someone considers this approach it will be tested for sure and people will say if it's better or not. I just had an idea of solving the problem and wanted to make it public and visible. It might be not the best solution but at least could be better than capping movement speed that has no effect.